Sunday, June 13, 2010

From Sex Machine to Lion King: World Cup Music Politics

The world is wondering what's up with the "Sex Machines" banner that appeared behind one of the goals at today's match between Serbia and Ghana (won by the latter, the youngest side in the World Cup).

Perhaps it is a reference to Hamburg fan club FSV Sexmachines, as one of my fellow tweeters suggested.  But I suspect it is (or I want it to be) a reference to Sex Machine, a lovely 2009 track from Ghanaian pop stars Ruff N Smooth, who (I assume) cite James Brown with the song's title. Ruff N Smooth are big fans of the Black Stars.



Wish someone at ESPN would hijack the network's theme music with this track.

As it happens, ESPN's music was written by a Mormon composer living in Utah. According to the Salt Lake Tribune: "With the exception of the African choir, all of the music is performed by Utah musicians." ("ESPN turns to Utah for World Cup music")

By "African choir," the article's author means the Broadway cast of The Lion King. Literally - the "African choir" in the theme song is composed of members of the Disney production's ensemble cast.

You just can't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for confirming my worst fears -- the Lion King choir. It just sounded like that.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback? Let me know what you think. Just an FYI: all comments posted to this blog are recorded, whether I publish them or not. I do not publish generally hateful comments - whether they be directed at me or at players and teams or other readers. I appreciate reader feedback, especially from those whose contributions add nuance and complexity to the story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...