Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Municipal de Fútbol Reading: June 9th @ Imprenta in Los Angeles

A READING OF QUEER SPORTS WRITING BY JENNIFER DOYLE
WITH VIDEO BY MARRIAGE (MATH BASS + WU TSANG)
Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 8:30 – 9:30 pm

@ IMPRENTA (NEXT DOOR TO SILVER PLATTER)
705 S. Rampart (at 7th), LA CA 90057

X-TRA Summer 2009 RELEASE PARTY
Vol. 11, no. 4

I will read from "Voici Mon Épée," a performative essay about - a Whitminian Ode to - the fútbol scene in Lafayette Park, which is right down the street from Imprenta & The Silver Platter. This essay is a part of Municipal de Fútbol a collaborative art/design project about soccer in East & South Los Angeles. It represents an extension of my writing here, and my critical work on art and sport spectacle which is featured in this issue of X-TRA. After the reading, I will talk with the audience about what it means to write about sports from a queer feminist perspective, and also about the forms of border policing which seek to regulate and control the fundamentally migratory pleasures of local fútbol communities.

Come to the reading & stay for The Wildness (great queer club in the space next door)
www.x-traonline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Let me know what you think. Just an FYI: all comments posted to this blog are recorded, whether I publish them or not. I do not publish generally hateful comments - whether they be directed at me or at players and teams or other readers. I appreciate reader feedback, especially from those whose contributions add nuance and complexity to the story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...